29 Jun The Best Place to Start With an IT Outsourcing Company
You’ve decided that you want to outsource IT to save money, improve security, and scale your network capabilities as your business grows.
However, you probably still have questions about how to start with an IT outsourcing company, such as what should be outsourced first, which areas of a business benefit most from outsourcing and how your outsourcing strategy fits with your unique business.
Dobson Technologies is here to help you tackle these difficult questions and provide you with a roadmap for outsourcing that ensures you begin the right way.
Understanding Your Business
As a business owner or CIO, you might already have a general understanding of what you want your outsourcing provider to deliver and what priorities are most important to you. However, it’s best to first systematically review your current IT performance, what you’re getting from it and where you want to be in the future. This will help you build a clear roadmap of what you should outsource first and provide you with a vision of how your outsourcing venture should unfold.
Here are the areas you should examine as you build a solid IT outsourcing roadmap:
- Evaluate your current IT strategy’s weaknesses – Try to assess your company’s IT strategy’s weaknesses honestly. For example, you may have decided that you want to start outsourcing IT because your company suffered a serious security breach or data loss that you were unable to handle internally.
- Examine your support and downtime – When you have a computer or network problem, how fast does your current IT staff fix it? Do you receive quick responses? How often do you suffer downtime or network issues? Do you have 24/7 support that ensures your system is up and running even if it’s a weekend or your current in-house IT point person is on vacation? If you feel that your current IT service isn’t fulfilling your needs when it comes to these type of questions, it’s a red flag that these type of services need to be outsourced first and foremost.
- Core vs. non-core – You may have certain core internal IT strategies based on your current IT staff. You may not feel comfortable outsourcing these first until you have more experience with an IT outsourcing provider.
- Are you struggling to grow? – If you feel your company isn’t growing, a big reason might be your current IT strategy. The latest IT solutions like cloud services can help you take advantage of increased storage, on-board enterprise-class cloud web applications at a cost-effective price and easily scale your business into the future.
- Look at where you want to be in the future – Examine where you want to be in the future and how IT can help you achieve your goals in upcoming quarters and beyond. Often, this is an excellent area to discuss with a managed IT service provider in order to understand what type of IT services should be implemented down the road.
Start Outsourcing the Essentials with an IT Company:
All of the above steps are extremely important. However, the first two are usually the areas where you want to start with an IT outsourcing company. This isn’t universally true, but many businesses want to outsource these “essential” areas before anything else.
These “essentials” include services like security, help desk support and cloud backups. The reason you usually want to outsource these areas first is that a problem with one of these areas can literally spell disaster for your company.
A global IT study found that data loss and network downtime costs companies an estimated $1.7 trillion per year. For small and medium-sized business, the stakes are especially high, with 72 percent of these enterprises going out of business after suffering an incident involving major data loss.
Many internal IT departments simply don’t have the expertise and experience to implement the services required to keep your network running smoothly and protect your data throughout the year. For instance, they should have the following:
- A knowledge of the latest security threats, as well as a service that will regularly update and patch your system against security threats and potential bugs
- The ability to implement secure firewalls
- Cloud backups that can help you recover from network disasters
- Real-time monitoring of your network for threats and intrusion attempts
Help desk support is closely tied into this area. With the right outsourced IT service provider, you can benefit from 24/7 support, remote and on-site technical support, and comprehensive troubleshooting from a team of experts.
Every business’ IT outsourcing needs are different and all have different entry points in the outsourcing process. For example, you may have no internal resources and have no strategy for growth in terms of technical needs. Or, you may have some internal resources that are strapped for time because they are focused on keeping up with day to day tasks instead of on strategy. Both scenarios require a different outsourcing approach, from a fully-outsourced managed IT solution to a supplemental managed IT solution. In either case, it’s important to grow comfortable with the IT resources you do outsource and understand the value they bring your business.