Install, repair, & test Optical Network Terminal (ONT) and modify both line and station telephone equipment and fiber services for customers using hand tools, power tools, and computer interfaces. Including locate and repair to outside wires, tree trimming, and placing new drops.
- Analyze, troubleshoot and provide knowledgeable feedback on technical problems and/or issues.
- Review and discuss service order requirements and equipment requests with customers, evaluating customer needs and suggest additional/alternative service as appropriate.
- Install, maintain/repair, and test residential/small business services Fiber to the Home (FTTH), Fiber to the Business (FTTB), Voice Services (HOSTED, & POTS).
- Perform splicing on all types of inside/outside plant facilities where the work requires cable sheath openings in buried, aerial and building environments.
- Connects wires and cables to terminals and attaches/detaches various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings, and poles.
- Use hand tools, power tools, and specialty tools, including telecommunications measuring devices.
- Read and interpret service orders, tickets, technical drawings, maps, blueprints, diagrams, etc. from supervisor or other designated employees and perform specified work.
- Works with telecom color-coded wires and cables.
- Able to repair cut cable of all sizes.
Other Job Requirements
- May be asked to work varying shifts and hours, possible overtime, weekends and holidays.
- Successful completion and passage of all applicable employment testing and interview.
- Obtain DOT Physical Medial Card.
Basic Job Qualifications
- Experience installing, maintaining/repairing, and testing residential/small business telecommunication service, including fiber (OSP/ISP) and ONT devices.
- Experience splicing fiber in underground, aerial or building environments.
- Experience connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles.
- Knowledge of basic electricity, as it relates to telecommunications including basic principles, theories, and applications of electricity (e.g., voltage, current, resistance, power, grounding, insulation, Ohm’s Law, AC/DC), knowledge of operation and application of common measurement instruments.
- Working knowledge of hand tools, power tools and test equipment.
- Ability to use established electrical, digital, and/or mechanical principles and to perform appropriate tests to identify and solve problems encountered on the job.
- Work with multiple types of information and/or perform multiple tasks simultaneously and accurately.
- Ability to complete designated amount of work in a specified timeframe, adjusting work assignments or schedules to meet changing work-related priorities or demands.
- Provide quality service to both internal and external customers (face-to-face, over phone, email).
- Ability to work well with others, as well as to work independently in field with minimal supervision.
- Ability to appropriately communicate and interact with customer.
- Ability to perceive differences in telecom wire and cable color.
- Ability to climb and work at elevations and confined spaces (ladders, lift trucks, attics, crawl spaces).
- Perform strenuous physical activities including lifting objects weighing over 100 pounds.
- Perform job activities outdoors in different weather conditions (extreme cold and/or heat).
- Possess a valid State issued driver’s license with a current satisfactory driving record.
- Work varying shifts and hours including possible overtime, weekends and holidays.
PREFERRED Job Qualifications
- 12 months experience installing, repairing/maintaining, and testing residential/small business telecommunication service (FTTH/FTTB/HOSTED/POTS).
- 12 months experience connecting telecom color-coded wires and cables to terminals, attaching or detaching various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings and poles.
- 12 months experience with fusion splicing equipment to also include experience using Optical Time Domain Reflectometer (OTDR) and optical power meters (PM) in an underground and/or aerial environment
- Experience operating bucket/lift trucks.
- Experience installing mainline aerial fiber, aerial fiber drops to residential/business, and installing ONT equipment.
- Ability to read, review, interpret and understand technical documents (schematics, drawings).
- Experience working on a computer in a Windows-based system including Microsoft Outlook.
- Prior experience using a body belt and safety straps.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Department: OSP Engineering & OSP Operations
Dobson Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug-free Workplace