Transport Network Engineer
The Transport Network Engineer is responsible for the design, development and refinement of network systems and infrastructure. The Transport Network Engineer position provides support by performing high level support for LAN/WAN systems; inclusive of switches, routers, firewalls and networking devices. This position is responsible for the technical and project management support on large complex projects.
- Evaluate networks and make recommendations on enhancements to ISP’s as it relates to our products
- Provide technical expertise and support to various internal departments
- Work hands-on with technologies such as routing and switching
- Identify network problems and risk areas and provide recommendations for resolutions
- Assist with the maintenance of all systems and associated support functions
- Participate in 24×7 on-call rotation
- Monitor and maintain current network infrastructure
- Maintain network documentation
- Ability to prioritize and multitask
- Evaluate and manage the implementation of new technologies and processes while participating in selection of service and equipment vendors
- Write detailed Methods of Procedure (MOPs) for implementation and maintenance activities
- Analyze the operation performance of the network elements and compare to expected results.
- Publish failure analysis and make sparing recommendations
- Develop automation tools for testing, configuration, auditing, and monitoring of fault and performance of network element.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in network planning & engineering carrier class networks.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in design, implementation and optimization of LAN and WAN networks
- Thorough understanding of TCP/IP and addressing
- Strong technical knowledge and hands-on experience with routing and switching protocols including BGP, OSPF and MPLS
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with VPN technologies and methodologies
- Knowledge of network security standards and best practices
- Knowledge of common network monitoring and security utilities
- Ability to troubleshoot network utilizing appropriate test set(s), i.e. OTDR, power meter, JDSU, EXFO
- Ability to travel when required
- Ability to lead projects requiring a careful, meticulous approach including documentation and presentation of methods and results
The qualified candidate is recommended to have:
- Ability to troubleshoot network utilizing the appropriate test set(s); i.e. OTDR, power meter, JDSU, EXFO.
- Ability to lead projects requiring a careful, meticulous approach including documentation and presentation of methods and results.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask.
- Ability to travel when required.
Preferred Technical and Vendor Background (some but not all are required):
- Juniper, Cisco and Adtran products
- Ethernet Transport / Ethernet over SONET / Packet Transport
- Palo Alto Firewalls
- Cyan products and platforms
- Accedian MetroNODE/MetroNID/EtherNID family
- ECI 9608,9310
- SONET OCn
- Long Haul transport
- Wavelength & DWDM services
- Telmar/Turin Traverse 2000,TE206,TE100
- Calix C7 & E7 Platforms
- Preferred Software Knowledge:
- Microsoft Office Products
- Microsoft Visio
- Microsoft Project
- Cisco IOS, Juniper JUNOS, Palo Alto PANOS
- Minimum of an Associate’s Degree in Engineering and 10 year of Network Engineering experience.