Network Engineer – Transport
The Network Engineer (Transport) is responsible for analyzing, designing, installing, configuring, maintaining and repairing of network infrastructure and application components. The Transport Network Engineer will perform a wide variety of maintenance and installation tasks to ensure the computer network performance meets company and user satisfaction. The individual will also provide direction, information, and recommendations regarding network configurations and installations.
- Provide technical expertise and support to various internal departments.
- Identify network problems and risk areas and provide recommendations for resolutions.
- Assist with the maintenance of all systems and associated support functions.
- Participate in 24×7 on-call rotation.
- Monitor and maintain current network infrastructure.
- Maintain network documentation.
- Write detailed Methods of Procedure (MOPs) for implementation and maintenance activities.
- Analyze the operation performance of the network elements and compare to expected results. Publish failure analysis and make sparing recommendations.
- Provision and install all transport related devices from CPE to Core components.
- Ability to troubleshoot network utilizing the appropriate test set(s); i.e. OTDR, power meter, JDSU, EXFO.
- Ability to lead projects requiring a careful, meticulous approach including documentation and presentation of methods and results.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask.
- Ability to travel when required.
- 10+ years experience in a telecommunications or service provider environment.
Preferred Technical and Vendor Background (some but not all required):
- DC power plant: Engineering and Maintenance
- Long Haul transport
- SONET OCn
- Ethernet Transport / Ethernet over SONET / Packet Transport
- Wavelength & DWDM services
- Telmar/Turin Traverse 2000,TE206,TE100
- Calix C7 & E7 Platforms
- Cyan products and platforms
- Transition Networks S3280 platform
- Accedian MetroNODE/MetroNID/EtherNID family
- ECI 9608, 9310
Preferred Software Knowledge:
- Microsoft Office Products
- Microsoft Visio
- Microsoft Project