The General Ledger Accountant applies the principles of accounting within an assigned area of the company. Assists in compiling financial information, processes journal entries into various accounts, and reconciles reports and financial data. Some familiarity and an awareness of the laws and regulations that apply to an accounting function are required to ensure compliance. The General Ledger Accountant possesses knowledge of the company’s financial accounting structure and accounting systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Codes invoices and transactions
- Compiles, records, and summarizes financial transactions and events of company in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles or Part 32 accounting principles
- Initiates and processes journal entries into various accounts
- Communicates with other departments, to gain and share knowledge, to ensure Financials meet operational needs.
- Reconciles general ledger, sub-ledgers and accounts to the general ledger and resolves differences
- Prepares monthly financial statements and management reports
- Assists in interactions with external auditors and tax preparers in completing audits or tax returns
- Complies with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations
- Performs general office duties and other duties as assigned
Scope of Responsibility:
The General Ledger Accountant works with the accounting staff and managers to reach formal and informal departmental goals, abiding by the departments standards, policies, and procedures, The General Ledger Accountant works directly with the Director of Accounting to make sure that all entries are posted, all balance sheet accounts are reconciled, and all financial reports are completed in compliance with GAAP, and other regulatory accounting and financial reporting rules and regulations. The role includes a fair amount of detail review and financial analysis of various business activities.
Decision Making and Authority:
The employee carries out duties and responsibilities under limited supervision. Makes decisions and establishes work priorities on essential procedure-oriented operations. Has the ability to direct all questions and decisions to supervisor. Does not direct the activities or actions of other employees.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or a related field
- Three or more years of experience in solid general ledger accounting experience
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Expertise in Microsoft Excel required
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office programs required
Job Description: GL Accountant
Job Description Number: GLAcct_2018
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Location: Corporate Office
EEOC | Drug-Free Workplace | M/F/D/V
Dobson Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug-free Workplace